50-mile Turn by Turn Directions
WarningThe Kanan Dume Road aid station 2nd time through for all runners closes at 430pm. If you arrive a minute after you will be pulled.
From Malibu Creek State Park Miles 0-7
Follow the paved road through the campground to Spur trail. This will connect to a paved road (Dorothy Dr.) and turn right on Dorothy Dr(in tapia Park). Follow Dorothy Dr. to a parking lot, and look for a trailhead to the right of the parking lot. Take that trail. The trail will cross a creek and head up on the other side. When you get to a small, cinder block outhouse, turn right on the trail heading up (the trail will be just before and next to the outhouse). Continue heading up. When the trail intersects with the Corral Cyn/Mesa Peak Motorway stay to the left and continue heading up. At the next intersection with another fire road, stay to the right. At the next intersection with a single track trail, take the trail to the right (this is the Backbone Trail). Follow the BBT to the Corral Cyn. parking lot.
the intersection with the BBT, turn left onto the BBT heading west.
Continue on the BBT as it crosses Latigo Cyn. Rd. to the parking lot on Kanan Rd.
Continue on the BBT and then turn left onto the Zuma Ridge Motorway
Follow the Zuma Ridge Motorway up and over the mountain, past Buzzard’s Roost, to the intersection with the Zuma-Edison Motorway
Continue on the Zuma Ridge Motorway all the way down to the parking lot at the bottom of the mountain.
Turn left onto the Ridge Canyon Access trail and then turn right onto Bonsall Dr. (dirt) following it to the parking lot. Your drop bags will be available at this aid station. Head out again on Bonsall Dr (dirt)
Turn right onto the Canyon View trail
Turn left onto the Kanan-Edison fire road
Turn left onto the Zuma Canyon Connector trail
Turn left onto the Zuma-Edison Fire road
Turn right on the Zuma Ridge Motorway
Turn right onto the BBT at Kanan Trailhead
Return the exact same way back to Malibu Creek State Park
- 15 hours
- Mile 15.8 (50k turn around) you must be here by 11am. If you get here after 11am you will be turned around and dropped to the 50k course.
- Bonsall Drive Mile 22.7 – Noon (You will be pulled if you arrive a minute after)
- Zuma Edison Ridge Motorway #2 Mile 31.1 – 2:45pm (If you arrive after 2:45pm, you will be pulled)
- Kanan Road #2 Mile 36.3 – 4:30pm (If you arrive after this, you will be pulled)
Course Profile & Aid Stations
- Corral Canyon #1 – Mile 6.5
- Latigo Road #1 Crossing – Mile 11
- Kanan Road #1 Crossing – Mile 13 & DROP BAGS
- Zuma Ridge Fire Road- 50k Turn around- Mile 15.5
- Zuma Edison Ridge Motorway #1- Mile 19.2
- Bonsall Drive- Mile 22.7 & hot soup if its cold out. DROP BAGS
- Zuma Edison Ridge Motorway #2- Mile 31.3
- Kanan Road #2- Mile 36.3 DROP BAGS – GET YOUR LIGHT!
- Latigo Road #2 Crossing – Mile 38.3
- Corral Canyon #2- Mile 42.9
What to expect at the aid stations: TONS of sweet and salty snacks, PB&J’s, Potato’s, lots of fruit, Clif gels and Clif shot blocks, Clif electrolyte drink, Carbo Pro, Metasalt and Electrolyte Pills. If it’s hot we will have ice at most aid stations. If it’s cold we will have hot soup(vegetarian chili) at mile 22.7.
Total Elevation Gain: 11,222 feet